Alcaraz Withdraws from Canadian Open to Recover Post-Wimbledon
World No. 2 Carlos Alcaraz has pulled out of the Canadian ATP Masters 1000 tournament in Toronto to rest and recover after a long stretch of matches, including a tough Wimbledon final.
Alcaraz, who was aiming for his third straight Wimbledon title, lost to Jannik Sinner in the final earlier this month. He has played many matches this season and currently holds a 48-6 win-loss record, winning five titles, including the French Open (Roland Garros).
“After many weeks of playing without a break, I won’t be able to compete in Toronto this year. I have small muscle issues and need time to recover both physically and mentally,” the 22-year-old wrote on social media. “To my fans in Canada, I’m very sorry. I’ll see you next year!”
Alcaraz joins a growing list of players who have withdrawn from the National Bank Open, including world No. 1 Jannik Sinner and four-time champion Novak Djokovic. Sinner, who won the title in Toronto last year, said he has to focus on his health after consulting with his team.
“Winning in Toronto two years ago was very special for me,” Sinner said. “But I need to listen to my body. I thank Tournament Director Karl Hale for his support, and I hope to return soon to play in front of the amazing fans.”
British No. 1 Jack Draper has also pulled out of the tournament because of an arm injury.
This year, the Canadian Open will run for 12 days instead of the usual one week, starting Sunday, with the final scheduled for August 7. The tournament is one of the key events leading up to the US Open and attracts many of the world’s top tennis players.


